The Federation of European National Statistical Societies
The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible. The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- The chief editor of the Journal of Official Statistics died19. 03. 2021Lars Lyberg, the eminent statistician, died earlier this month. Lars was the founder of the Journal of Official Statistics and served as Chief Editor for more than 25 years. A prolific author, Lars wrote or edited a number of books that have been fundamental to improving the work of official statistics, including Measurement Errors in Surveys (1991), Introduction to Survey Quality (2003), Survey Methods in Multicultural, Multinational and Multiregional contexts (2010) and Total Survey Error in Prac...
- Worthy Information for Challenging Times16. 03. 2021event date: 26. - 28. 4. 2022The IAOS 2022 Conference organized in collaboration with Statistics Poland, will be held from April 26-28, 2022 at the Convention Center in Krakow, Poland. The theme of the 2022 Conference is “Worthy Information for Challenging Times”. With hope that the situation around the COVID-19 pandemic will have improved and restrictions on travel and indoor events lifted, the Conference will be organized in a face-to-face format in the beautiful city of Krakow, most likely with an option for virtual partic...
- Going Viral – Modelling Spread03. 03. 2021event date: 18. 3. 2021The 2021 Annual Meeting of the Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operation Research (VVSOR) will be about the spread. Four international speakers will discuss their research on the spread of COVID-19 virus. The speakers will reflect on modelling 'Going Viral' and modelling spread, or how to reduce the spread of COVID-19, from their respective fields by using concepts from both statistics and operational research.
- Virtual ISI World Statistics Congress 202119. 02. 2021event date: 11.-16. 7. 2021The 63rd ISI WSC 2021 will be held 11-16 July as a virtual conference. The WSC theme “Statistics and Data Science for a Better World” highlights the developments and contributions of statistics and data science in various domains of application that impact all aspects of life.
- FENStatS welcomes improvements of funding opportunities by ERC19. 02. 2021The president of FENStatS has made a new effort to improve the funding conditions for statistical research by the European Council. The correspondence between the President of FENStatS and the Chair of ERC gives good hope for improvements of funding opportunities by ERC.
- Conference on New Techniques & Technologies for Official Statistics16. 02. 2021event date: 9.-11.3.2021NTTS 2021 features three exciting key notes and 30 parallel sessions, during which participants will be able to participate virtually in discussions and raise their questions to the speakers. Networking remains a keystone of NTTS as attendees will be able to participate in interactive and engaging experiences through a dynamic virtual conference platform.
Objectives and activities
- The Federation of European Statistical National Societies is web-based, with interactions and management mainly via the Internet; services, news and newsletters are made available on the Internet.
- The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible.
- The Federation collaborates with international statistical associations and in particular with the ISI (International Statistical Institute) and European Societies with statistical interests such as ENBIS (European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics).
- The Federation supports the immersion of doctorate and post-doctorate students in statistics in international research networks, and actively cooperates with ECAS (European Courses in Advanced Statistics).
- The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the Members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- The Federation encourages crossed participations in national events to increase international exchanges of experiences and research and to organise joint meetings on specific topics of interest for at least two European Member Societies.
- The Federation proposes actions to the European Commission, other European institutions and supplementary donors to secure funds for projects in research and education in statistics. Furthermore, FENStatS prepares and presents projects that cater to research and education needs in statistics and requires its delegates to serve in panels and committee where funding is decided.