The Federation of European National Statistical Societies
The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible. The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- Rapid Funding Calls for Research on COVID-19 Recovery & Just Transitions03. 09. 2021The British Academy opened applications up to 06-Oct-2021 for two fundings opportunities, COVID-19 Recovery: Building future pandemic preparedness and understanding citizen engagement in the G7 and Just Transitions within Sectors and Industries Globally.
- Road to Bern International Conference03. 09. 2021event date: 2021-09-10The Russian “Road to Bern” conference is one of the five international events supporting the 3rd UN World Data Forum organized by Rosstat, UN regional commissions, the Swiss Embassy in Russia, the International Center for Statistical Expertise “Centrostat” and the World Bank.
- Concentration Inequalities in Machine Learning05. 07. 2021event date: 15.10.2021The fifth “One World webinar” organized by YoungStatS will take place on September 15th, 2021. Selected young European researchers active in the areas of probability and machine learning will present their recent contributions. The webinar is joint cooperation between the Young Researchers Committee of the Bernoulli Society and the YoungStatS project.
- SPE 2021 – XXV Congress of the Portuguese Statistical Society (SPE)06. 05. 2021event date: 13.-16. 10. 2021Our Congresses are the main forum of discussion of SPE; it is where we break new ground, brainstorm, meet, and network with Statisticians and other Data-driven professionals from Universities, Research Institutes and Laboratories, Industry, Government, Official Statistics, Regulators and Stakeholders. At this time, we will be celebrating the fact that SPE is entering a new cycle—after its 40th anniversary.
- The chief editor of the Journal of Official Statistics died19. 03. 2021Lars Lyberg, the eminent statistician, died earlier this month. Lars was the founder of the Journal of Official Statistics and served as Chief Editor for more than 25 years. A prolific author, Lars wrote or edited a number of books that have been fundamental to improving the work of official statistics, including Measurement Errors in Surveys (1991), Introduction to Survey Quality (2003), Survey Methods in Multicultural, Multinational and Multiregional contexts (2010) and Total Survey Error in Prac...
- Worthy Information for Challenging Times16. 03. 2021event date: 26. - 28. 4. 2022The IAOS 2022 Conference organized in collaboration with Statistics Poland, will be held from April 26-28, 2022 at the Convention Center in Krakow, Poland. The theme of the 2022 Conference is “Worthy Information for Challenging Times”. With hope that the situation around the COVID-19 pandemic will have improved and restrictions on travel and indoor events lifted, the Conference will be organized in a face-to-face format in the beautiful city of Krakow, most likely with an option for virtual partic...
Objectives and activities
- The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the Members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- The Federation collaborates with international statistical associations and in particular with the ISI (International Statistical Institute) and European Societies with statistical interests such as ENBIS (European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics).
- The Federation of European Statistical National Societies is web-based, with interactions and management mainly via the Internet; services, news and newsletters are made available on the Internet.
- The Federation proposes actions to the European Commission, other European institutions and supplementary donors to secure funds for projects in research and education in statistics. Furthermore, FENStatS prepares and presents projects that cater to research and education needs in statistics and requires its delegates to serve in panels and committee where funding is decided.
- The Federation encourages crossed participations in national events to increase international exchanges of experiences and research and to organise joint meetings on specific topics of interest for at least two European Member Societies.
- The Federation supports the immersion of doctorate and post-doctorate students in statistics in international research networks, and actively cooperates with ECAS (European Courses in Advanced Statistics).
- The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible.